Torqu Converter has big gap between itslelf and flywheel.... Why? Its not normal!

Asked by Aug 12, 2009 at 05:00 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Astro LS Extended RWD

I just finished installing a transmission for my 97 Chev Astro 2wd 4.3 L V6. The tranny that was in there was not of the original... there were some things that were modded to work. However the one I put in was of the original make and model. When I proceeded to bolt the torque converter to the fly wheel, there was a major gap and the bolts would not reach. I used a little larger bolt to bring it forward a bit then used the originals to secure it. After installing it all... I started it and it grinded... almost definate that it was the torque converter sliding on the tranny spline.

Why is this gap there... the flywheel was not changed I am sure.. do I need spacers in between the TC and FW? Every tranny I have done, the TC is snug against the tranny and the FW bolts up no problem.

HELLP! Its in my garage and needs to be fixed!!

Thanks to anyone that can help me.

It is strange that the gap is that large but you will need spacers between the flexplate and converter. You need to bring that gap down under 1/4 inch. Use precision washers by the way. I am a tech at Bowtie Overdrives. Call me if you have any more questions 760-947-5240 Chris