Does anyone have a copy of the sequence of operation for the gear shifter on a 1998 S90

Asked by Jul 14, 2015 at 09:46 PM about the 1998 Volvo S90 Sedan

I know that there is a cable coming from under the dash to one of several plastic
parts inside the gear shifter unit, there is a plunger coil in the bottom of the gear
shifter unit, a lifter bar in the shifter and an override button that pusher a wire that
moves the plastic part that is attached to the cable coming from under the dash.  All
of these parts must follow the sequence of operation.  I have found that the part that
the cable attaches to slides forward for some reason and hold the shifter in park.  I
have taken all of the plastic parts out and clean them and sprayed them with Super
Lube DRI-FILM lubricant.  They now move freely.  I am looking for the sequence of
operation so I can continue my trouble shooting.   Also, I have heard of a possible
recall for some problem with the gear shifter.  Does anyone have more information
on this possible recall?

I just had to repair this shifter, replaced the rod that connects the knob button to the lock mechanism. what are you trying to fix?

Hello Mibarra__S90, My shifter is locking up in park. the plastic part that connects to the cable that comes from under the dash causes the lock up when it rotates/moves ever so slightly forward toward the front of the car. I have not been able to determine what pulls the cable back and in that movement moves that plastic part as far toward the back of the car after that cable has pulled the plastic part toward the front of the car.

the key switch is what pulls the cable. i looks like some parts are worn. try adjusting the cable in or out. also make sure the shifter stick is all the way in, push it down hard. check the rod inside the shifter it may be broken or bent. in an emergency you should be able to move the shifter by depressing the "by pass" button in the front of the shifter hiding behind the leather cover. (press hard) it bypasses the key switch when it malfunction. make sure the lock solenoid is working when you step on the brake pedal, it will only function with the key on. good luck.

Hello Mibarra__S90, I adjusted the cable length by taking a 11mm wrench and rotating the threaded portion of the plastic end of the cable. The unit is still locked up. Now the steering wheel will not lock when the key is removed. I think the end of the cable in the steering wheel may have disconnected during the adjustments.

Probably no. If it is the cable will be very loose if u pull it gently. Turn it back one or two turns at a time and retest t key . Does the stick moves using the bypass button?

Hello Mibarra__S90, I purchased access to AlldataDIY today. I have found some instructions on how to adjust the "ignition lock cable". The instruction indicate that I have not set up the cable correctly. I will post results. thanks for your replies and suggestions. Don

Hello Milarra, I have taken pictures and have added them to a Pages letter. I can not figure out how to attach that information to this reply. I adjusted the cable and now the key switch and steering wheel are locking. the plastic part that holds the ball end of the cable has moved up to about 1/2 the distance between the gear shift shaft and the front of the shift assembly near the end of the plastic/rubber end of the cable. At this position the key and steering wheel will lock correctly. I have seen two plates in the unit. One acts as a cam track for the metal pin in the shifter handle to stop in the different gears Park, Reverse, etc. The other looks like a cycle for cutting grass, wheat, etc. I have not discovered the lugs? If you know what it takes to attach a Pages letter I can send you pictures. Thanks, Don

Well, I have been working this issue from the passenger side to have more room. I finally realized that I needed to be pressing on the brake when I turned the key. Amazingly, the unit will now shift out of park. The steps I have taken that had an impact where: 1. move the console out of the way. 2. release the cable and ball from the front of the shift control box 3. remove the nut from the transmission connecting arm aalong the side of the transmission. 4. cut the white and black wire that send power through the micro switch(leave enough to be able to splice them back together. 5. remove the entire shifter box out of the car. 6. take the clip off of the plastic arm and remove the arm. 7. remove the shaft/pin that held the arm and the plates inside the shifter box. 8. pull all the plastic parts out and clean the old dried up grease and spray them all with Super Lube. 9. Put it all back together in reverse order. 10. use an 11mm wrench to adjust the cable that runs to the key switch until the switch will lock properly (trial and error setup) 11. Remember to step on the brake while you turn the key to test the system. Thanks to Mibarra__S90 for help. Don67

It looks like you got it going? Keep in touch...