Why do the ignition coils keep burning out on my 2000 s80? I have replaced 4 coils in the last 8 months.

Asked by Oct 18, 2007 at 10:44 AM about the 2000 Volvo S80 2.9

AM I DRIVING THE CAR TOO MUCH?  I PURCHASED THE CAR IN DECEMBER 2006 WITH 101,000 MILES.  NOW I HAVE 136,000 MILES.  I HAVE MADE TO ROAD TRIPS OVER 2000 MILES EACH.  I HAVE REPLACED THE TIMING AND COILS, OUTSIDE OF THAT SO FAR SO GOOD.  OH, ALSO SOMETIMES WHEN THE CAR IS TURNED OFF AND HAS BEEN OFF FOR MAYBE 15 MINUTES, THE INSIDE FAN COMES ON AS IF I HAVE THE A/C ON BUT ITS NOT COLD AIR.

42,195

Have this checked by a dealership. It could be that the PCM is causing improper readings which are putting too much strain on the coils. There may be another electrical cause of this also, but 4 coils in 8 months is pretty unheard of, especially considering that the parts themselves should be under warranty. Are you using factory parts? The inside fan may be an air circulation thing. Not sure why it would do that except perhaps a problem with the climate control head or a short circuit.

There are 6 coils in a S80. Are you replacing the same cylinder each time or is it a different one each time. Once one of the coils goes bad, the others are likely to fail too. The fan coming on inside has to do with condensation and is normal. Read the owners manuel and it tells you so.

7,995

In addition to what was already said, if memory serves, volvo ran a wasted spark setup at that time, in which case if you're keeping it in high RPMs for extended periods of time, you could be burning them out. In other words stay below 5,000 RPM, your coils act like they are running in a 10,000 RPM engine then because they fire in batches of 2.

I know this was forever ago but wanted to respond. Something else to keep in mind when coils go. They are usually a red flag. A few things seem to work and rely on each other in order for your car to function... Fuel, Spark, & Air. If you replace a coil and it goes bad quickly thereafter or another coil goes, chances are that wasn't the main issue. Bad spark plugs are the frequent culprit of failed ignition coils or improper gapping (too wide) can cause unusual temperatures of the engine that don't show on thermostat reader in car this also causes cracks in the plastic coil encasement which can cause misfiring. The other thing is a possible failed fuel injector. When an injector is bad it throws the combustion timing off and causing it to obviously work harder which can cause a breakdown of both coils & spark plugs. Hope this helps.

i replace one cilo that went bad and about 20 miles another one went by replaced it and yet another one goes bad so i went to junk yard and got five off another s60 they all went bad i replaced and used all i had anyone know what my problem could be hat to buy all knew ones and have it happen to them i also smell gas under the hood cant seem to locate where its coming from any help here thanks