engine temperature sensor

Asked by Mar 07, 2017 at 06:40 AM about the 2000 Volvo S70 GLT SE Turbo

My 2k volvo  s70 turbo, has 124k miles. Two weeks ago, if sitting for hrs, it would not start, until 3rd or 4th attempt. A mechanic said the engine temperature sensor, needs replacing, costing $ 250. I didn't get the work done. The past few days, it starts on first try! This is puzzling. Glad I didn't spend the money.

111,765

GREAT NEWS....

Best Answer Mark helpful
75,525

Yes great news, but find another mechanic. The temperature sensor is important to the operation of the engine, not start-up.

1,625

Your temp sensor could potentially need to be changed-- they do go bad from time to time; however start up issues are usually related to the starter itself. Have you had the starter checked??

Starter fine. I don't a bad one, would correct itself. Maybe so.

1,625

You're right- they don't correct themselves but a failing starter will start up fine sometimes and not start or be hard to start at other times. I take it that the issue hasn't happened since??

When you turn the key over just before engaging the starter, can you hear the fuel pump start the to run? Does it shut off on its own after about 5-10 sec?

no problem starting

My guess is that somehow after sitting your fuel goes back through the lines and you dont have enough fuel to start until you turn the key 2-4 times engaging the fuel pump each time

I didn't think to listen for the fuel pump, when this was happening. But, since it starts fine now, then the pump and/starter could be the culprit? I was also told, it could be the key immobilizer.