van cliks once but wont start

20

Asked by Jun 30, 2013 at 01:15 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Venture 3 Dr LS Passenger Van

Been driving van with no problems.  today went to start it and it only clicks once.  lights come on inside and outside.  what could be the problem

8,415

The single click is your ignition solenoid. When nothing happens after that, chances are you need a new starter motor.

20

Thanks Michael. Replaced starter and everything is good.

170

2001 Chevy venture, replaced bad starter and still won't start, had new started retested & re-installed & battery tested, still no start just click, next option??? No security errors, could it be the ignition??? How do I check?

8,415

Cynthia, that sounds like a bad ground. Make sure that the battery cables are in good shape. If they are original, I would plan on new ones as a matter of course, sine the old ones are 12 years old. The insulation is getting brittle if nothing else. There may well be a ground strap between the engine block and the body. If so, don't forget to change it at the same time. I always invest the extra $10 or so and get the heavy "1 gauge" copper wires. Just make sure they are the correct length with the correct ends on them.

30

Change the spark plug wires, fuel pump and fuel filter and the engine still will not turn over...it will not start what to do next...what can be the next solution