difference 2000 s40 t1.9 & t2.0

John Williams

Asked by Feb 03, 2016 at 06:22 PM about the 2000 Volvo S40 Turbo

Want to purchase timing belt on rockauto
and I keep putting in t1.9l turbo but keeps
popping up t2.0 model. 2000 s40.what is the
difference between .

part is correct...Turbos are a bit dodgy when it comes to alignment...would take a careful look at the tensioner...and it's position...and make sure that the bushings or wear surfaces are not completely worn~ perhaps the tensioner arm has lost it's tension?

The 1.9 engine is often confused as a 2.0. The engine size in CC rounds to 1.9 liters, therefore the engine is a 1.9. They are talking about the same engine, don't worry!

And don't skimp on the timing belt and parts. Volvo OEM is Continental, and I would highly recommend using a Continental belt, at least. As far as the idler and tensioner, anything but URO Parts is fine.

Not to sound like I'm arguing with you, but Volvos are not bad cars at all. They are extremely reliable when properly maintained. You must have gotten a bad one. And times have changed... a 1971 Volvo is VERY different than the 2000 S40 we're talking about here. And that is not true at all about non-interference engines... Volvo's engines are interference engines. There have been many cases that the timing belt snaps and several valves are burned. Change your timing belt according to your owner's manual and you should have no problem at all.

thanks for the update apbimmer98...should not be projecting negativity out here... Sunday mechanic till 95~ just here to kill time~ perhaps it's not so good (especially in 3rd world countries) that the timing belts can no longer ignored until break ...one friend joined a special club...his went 700,000 miles~ so everyone has a story to tell about their Volvos~ have a good day then!~

It's unfortunate, but that's how these engines are. Which reminds me, I need to replace mine...

good mechanics are hard to find...the mechanic "ED" from wheeler-dealers makes everything seem easy and fun...the Porsche required an off frame requiring three guys and subframe...then the engine to simply get to the clutch~ so NOT recommended are Porsche 944's and the like....most difficult to fix..my only experience with Volvo's is they tended to have loose engine mounts that had an huge amount of travel...of course no garage would be complete without the Volvo timing belt tool...fortunately they loaned that in Berkeley~ it really is a hazardous job, with the possibility of crushed or chopped fingers exist every day...showers in coolant and transmission fluid, splashing in battery acid..you gotta have more then one set of clothes~

Yeah, that must be older ones. My main experience with Volvos comes from 850/S/V/C70 models, and their early 5 cylinder engines. Only issue with mounts on those cars really are the top torque mount bushings. I just replaced mine with a new polyurethane one, and the old one is a real pain to get out. New one slipped right in without a problem!

5 cylinder is actually more harmonically balanced...vibrations are cancelled out....not like your V8 which crank and cam set up harmonics...the 72 degrees beween each cylinder makes for a smooth engine, I'm sure~ the only one that I could think of is a 5-cylinder Audi, which had a defective thermo-time switch...I did not know what the hell I was doing trying to be an "expert" on all makes and models as the go-to guy in Berkeley at parker and telegraph on a Sunday...seen some weird shit...a woman totally NUDE like she had clothes on...VW hippy-vans with no money, but will smoke a bowl with you instead...Flat-tire wheelchair with four other cars waiting...many towed in...and with my help were able to drive out~ 5 cylinder audi kicked my ass had never diagnosed a thermo-time switch ever before...~ one that I could not fix~