Entire car shakes only when I accelerate!

40

Asked by Oct 25, 2010 at 11:18 PM about the 2000 Volvo S40 Turbo

My 2000 S40 shakes when I push the gas peddle. It seems to be worse going up an incline. If I release the gas the car stops shaking. The car sounds like it is not getting any power or like it is struggling. Normally does not start to vibrate until you hit 50 MPH and will vibrate as long as you are trying to accelerate. There are no check engine lights or warning lights of any kind. I'm not sure but it seems like the problem is in the suspension or front end. Could it be a fuel pump? Also heard that a hole in a vacuum hose could cause this? Wanted to get your opinion before I got someone to look at it. Thanks

725

I am having the exact same problem. What were your results?

40

did anyone ever reply to your question?. i have a 2002 s40 with the exact same problem.

725

I ended up taking it to the dealer and it was the axel shaft boot (something like that) was broken. Their diagnosis was (Inner boot torn and vibrating under acceleration replaced right side cv axel assembly 2.0). This in conjunction with the fact that both of my ignition coils were cracked and also needed replacement. I had loss in power due to the bad ignition coils (replaced both of those including sprak plugs with the 120,000 maintenance.) and the vibration issue when acceleratin above 65mph typically. With these items replaceded, the car is working great. I have had the car for 12 years and items like this are expected i suppose.

35

go visit a bloody mechanic!

195

Hi Venom5150, I have the exact same problem. How much money did you spend to fix and where did you fix it? Thank you in advance

40

It was the Coil Packs. I went ahead and replaced both because there are only TWO on this car. I found them at my local AutoZone for $46 per coil pack. Dealership wanted nearly $100 per. If the code is telling you that there is a misfire on any of the cylinders then your problem is coil packs. All auto parts stores have a code reader they will let you use for free. Even if your check engine light isn't on right now the problem was stored in the computer so it will show up.

195

tmoose27, Thank you, I will try to ask the pepboy staff to check the coil packs of my car.

195

tmoose, I have been to a repair store earlier, where they told me the cylinders of my car randomly misfire. i guess you are right about the coil pack problem.

40

I have same problem with my car . When I start my car on first time I push gass paddel it start vibrating and it is not vibrating during driving . It vibrates when I push gass padel on first time . Plz plzzzzzzzzz if some one knows mail me .thanks Gullhazara669@gmail.com

40

I have same problem with my car . When I start my car on first time I push gass paddel it start vibrating and it is not vibrating during driving . It vibrates when I push gass padel on first teime only . Plz plzzzzzzzzz if some one knows mail me .thanks Gullhazara669@gmail.com

10

I have a s40 and it is fine til I touch the gas pedal and when it goes up a hill it's worse.. I already replaced my coil package... Please someone tell me what it could be I took it to a mechanic that works on American cars and he don't know what it could be...I don't have the money to go to a Volvo mechanic...please if anyone had/has this issue ,what is or was it... thanks in advance