98 Chevy Tracker

Asked by Jan 28, 2015 at 08:04 AM about the 1998 Chevrolet Tracker 2 Dr STD Convertible

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

I have a 98 Chevy Tracker 1.6
SOHC 16 v with 117 k on the
engine. After driving it for a
while, I notice that a little bit of
oil is coming out from the top
valve cover gasket R side
(driver side) plus a weak
knocking noise around the
third section of the valves.
What can I do? Should I adjust
the valves and change the
gasket or should I change to a
thicker oil and replace the
gasket with out adjusting the

2 Answers


Remove valve cover and adjust valves to.006" intake and exhaust on a cold engine. Replace gasket. Information cam from a Tracker forum.


P.S. If you aren't familiar with valve adjustment find a reputable independent mechanic to do it for you.

Your Answer

Chevrolet Tracker Experts

  • #1
  • #2
  • #3
    Charlotte Francis
View All

Related Models For Sale

Used Geo Tracker
18 listings
Used Toyota RAV4
842 Great Deals out of 51,357 listings starting at $1,500
Used Jeep Wrangler
304 Great Deals out of 16,323 listings starting at $2,500
Used Honda CR-V
830 Great Deals out of 55,240 listings starting at $1,750
Used Chevrolet Tahoe
651 Great Deals out of 39,638 listings starting at $1,000
Used Suzuki Grand Vitara
15 Great Deals out of 362 listings starting at $1,499
Used Toyota 4Runner
293 Great Deals out of 22,098 listings starting at $1,750
Used Suzuki Vitara
31 listings
Used Jeep Cherokee
383 Great Deals out of 47,682 listings starting at $2,795

Used Cars For Sale

2003 Chevrolet Tracker For Sale
61 listings starting at $2,695
2002 Chevrolet Tracker For Sale
52 listings starting at $4,995
1999 Chevrolet Tracker For Sale
10 listings starting at $3,977

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use.