power antenna

Asked by Jan 31, 2007 at 02:58 PM about the 1996 Volvo 960 Sedan

my power antenna does not go up or down, but the motor runs. how hard is to replace the anntena mast.

31,565

the antenna mast should just screw off easily. You could replace it with a manual antenna (one that you could pull and down yourself.) At least you would have a working antenna.

265

I don't recall the specifics, but there's a plastic toothed strip that wraps up around the motor shaft. When the radio comes on, it unwinds and pushes up inside your metal antenna. This plastic strip breaks easy enough and have to be replaced. You can either (if you're handy) go to the junkyard and pick up another entire power antenna (about $20) or you can order the little plastic strip separately from FCPgroton.com, or IPDusa.com, or if you have the part number handy, get the OEM part from getvolvoparts.com. It's a bit tricky to separate the antenna from the motor and unwind the strip and feed the new one in, but it's doable.