My 95 volvo is having these issues . When I go and gas my car up and then try to start it it won't start until after either 5 to 10 minutes or so or until I try to turn it over on the fourth attempt

Asked by Nov 15, 2010 at 10:24 PM about the 1995 Volvo 960 Sedan

I also have another issue. When I'm backing out of my driveway and put it in drive the red arrow light flashes that says there is a transmission defalt and at this point and time I can't accelerate and I have to park it and try to restart it a few times and then it stops flashing and then I can drive it. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

155

I know it's been 3 months+ but I post anyway.. Start-up troubles may occur if you for some reason turn off your engine after a few seconds and then attempt to restart. Perhaps not the case here. The tranny-thing should be a "limp home mode" and the car should stll be driveable but stuck in 3rd. Ever checked oil levels? But: Both your problems could very well be related to your adjustable "gear box selector", a device on your automatic transmission. Another visible flash would also be seen between the S-button and/or E-button. If so I recommend you to take your car to any Volvo shop, they may be familiar with the problem. The part is very hard to reach. Damp/moist doesn't improve this error, on the contrary - but hey, car is 16 years old. Gearbox itself is a very reliable unit, used in twin turbo Celicas and similar cars. I hope you have sorted out your problem already!