automatic transmission dip stick

5

Asked by Sep 07, 2009 at 02:51 PM about the 1992 Volvo 960 Wagon

I can not find the automatic transmission dip stick in the engine compartment. Can you tell me where it is?

265

On the driver's side under the hood, near the firewall. You have to look way down to see the yellow (black - if covered by dirt/oil) dipstick. It's down about half an arms length down, so my elbow can get dirty when I check it. If you have a lift, you might want to check it from below. You might also be able to use a long 1/2" extension to reach down a 'grab' it.

10

How do you add transmission fluid

per Jacob: If it's the 3.0L I6, stand in front of the grill and find the oil dipstick, it's further back towards the firewall about an arms length down. It has a square yellow top. There's a spring loaded clip you need to flick off and then take out the dipstick and it will have two sides, one for checking it when its hot, one for cold. If you can't get it with your hand, the yellow top has a recessed spot for an extension to fit in and depress it to undo to the clip and bring it up, I think it's either a 1/2 or 1/3. Get a long funnel, stick your tranny fluid in there after checking it; however, I would recommend a full flush, not just adding fluid.

Thanks u I found it

61,045

Don't flush the transmission, just change the fluid and filter. Flushes may damage the trans.