Tranny intermittenly slipping and speedometer intermitten as well; Speed senor prblm?

Asked by Sep 14, 2011 at 02:05 AM about the 1992 Volvo 960 Sedan

1992 Volvo 960; problem is with the transmission slipping intermittent. When this happens the speed diameter is not working. When the speeddiameter is working the car will accelerate and drive as if there is nothing wrong. I notice this happens when starting up the car. Explaining: when I start up the car an proceed to select drive it is working while driving. Another time I start up the car an proceed to select  drive it will take off fine. The speedometer is not working. When the brake is applied, now we experience the intermittent problem or symptoms taking many second to get going. All fluid levels are up with oem product suggestion. Now I have been able to limp around town when coming to a Stop or Red light by putting the car in park and then back to drive an I'm off driving. Anyone have any suggestion.

335

abs is tied into speed sensor cicuit,along with instrument cluster,inspect outside wiring to abs sensors ans rear end speed sensors first,the rear one can cause all kinds of probs.

335

if its tranny really slipping then you are done with it ,smell the fluid on dipstick,if its burnt smelling so is your trans!

20

the speedo controls the transmission shifting. When the speedo craps out it sends a faulty signal to the tranny. The speedo needs to be rebuilt.