My Volvo 93 wagon's gear shift won't move . . . and key trick from Volvo_girl doesn't work. Thanks for any help. I'm stranded in a mountain village.

Asked by Apr 04, 2015 at 10:05 AM about the 1993 Volvo 940 S Wagon

Gear shift won't move out of park . . . key trick from Volvo_girl doesn't work.  Thanks for
any help.  I'm stranded in a mountain village.

217,185

You probably don't have any tools to repair it or parts. Time to call AAA.

1,135

Is there a shift lock over ride?

Thanks, apbimmer98, for your response! Yes, there is a shift lock over ride, but turning the key to Position 1 and pressing it firmly does *not* allow me to depress the big 'button' on the shifter nor move into a another gear. The only thing that was different the afternoon before this happened was getting a car wash. I made one 1-hr stop after that and drove home just fine. The next morning, it was locked. If you or anyone has any other ideas, I'd be hugely grateful to hear. Going to have to find rides next week until getting towed to the dealer on Thursday. Thanks again.

1,135

Hmm... apparently this is a pretty common problem among older Volvos. All I know to do in this situation is press in the override all the way and press in the shifter button. Could be a shift lock solenoid, and there is a way to bypass that, but you have to take apart the console. Not sure if it's the same for a 940, though. I have seen something about hitting the shift knob downward. Take a look at matthewsvolvosite.com. Lots of good information over there regarding these kinds of problems.

Thanks so, so much! Will try hitting the shift knob downward, but take it easy so as not to break it. Also, checking out matthewsvolvosite. If I get the answer, I'll post it here. You guys all ROCK ! I'm super grateful.