how does the overdrive button work?

Asked by Sep 04, 2007 at 03:51 AM about the 1992 Volvo 940 GL

I want to know the features of the overdrive button in automatic transmission

All the overdrive button does is turn on or off an electrical solenoid which directly couples the torque convertor with the driveshaft in order to provide higher fuel mileage in long, flat stretches of driving like highways. Overdrive is typically not recommended for hilly areas as the transmission will tend to "hunt" for the right gear.

No. The other user in confusing OD with lockup. Turbo cars have OD, but no lockup on their torque converter, for example. When you press the OD button on the back of your shifter and the yellow arrow appears on your dash, you have disabled overdrive, or "fourth gear". When you are in D or third gear, your tires are doing one revolution per engine revolution. Once in OD, your wheels will spin faster than the engine, thus being overdriven....

i have one and what it does it help the car slow and power up hills i drive my auto in the lowest gear "1"then when it gets close to redline i shift up to "2" then when i hit 80 i turn off the over drive but if you drive it in the lower gears you get better acceleration but it stresses out the engine!

I have a 1992 940 GL. Non-turbo. I can shift into second gear just fine then when I get to about 3,000 RPMs, I have to let off the gas to shift into 3rd gear. Now it's not shifting into 4th gear. I put a new selonoid on and it's still not shifting into 4th gear. If u know what might be my problem please contact me @ or text me @ 864-361-2359. My name is Sebastian.