I have a 1996 volvo 850 turbo and I just replaced the head gasket and put it back together and it runs good but born some reason the exost is coming back through the cooling system and it's getting h

Asked by Oct 11, 2015 at 05:52 AM about the 1996 Volvo 850 Platinum Limited Edition Turbo Wagon

85

It is not sealed properly.Check for obvious damage with the engine running. Check your work area to see if there is an extra seal. Otherwise a seal broke. Either way you will have to take it back apart to find the issue.

21,985

Yeah, like he said- that car is a complicated beast and you missed something- my guess would be the wrong head gasket- always eyeball it and make sure the little holes all match up on the engine block and gasket- also, if you replaced the head gasket, you must have overheated it, right? Maybe the head itself got warped- did you take the head to a machine shop to have it checked while it was off? and at the same time you could have put new valves in-