My 95 850 - Gas gauge & odometer goes in and out

Asked by Sep 03, 2014 at 04:36 PM about the 1995 Volvo 850 GLT

My gas gauge stopped working last week.  When I started the car throughout the day, it started working again.  Keeps happening.  Then my odometer stopped working a few days later.  I haven't driven for a few days, but today I ran a few errands.  The gas gauge didn't work when I first started the car, but after a few errands, the gas gauge works again and the odometer started working again?  Any answers as to what might be the problem?  Thanks!

Ever since I posted the above question, everything has been working fine. There is a guy on Youtube who posts repair videos and answers questions about Volvos. He thought it could either be the ignition switch, but most likely it's the instrument cluster/panel (or wiring in the cluster.) My mechanic can't check until it happens again. Fingers crossed it will continue to work. Still looking for a definitive answer if anyone has one. Thanks!