Problem starting following changing water pump ,timng belt and auxillary belt..

15

Asked by Sep 21, 2007 at 01:42 PM about the 1993 Volvo 850 GLT

water pump failed and damaged the timing belt.  replaced belt and pump and aligned to timng marks on camshafts and number on piston at top dead center.. unable to see timing mark on crankshaft..battery is charged and using a timing light I am getting spark to the number one cyclinder .. fuel is present after turning engine but it still fails to atart..diagnotics module shows no faults with the injectors or IAC...  what am I missing...

1,105

is your timing 180 out? in other words just being at top dead center dosent make it right you have to be on compresion stroke allso.

15

Since inn the 1993 850 you have two overhead cmshafts and the crankshaft makes two rotations per camshaft if the alignment marks are corect you will be on the compression stroke upon the firing of the number one piston being at to dead center.. correct me if I am wrong..

55

Just ask a question: At 120,000 miles my 850 is ready for another timing belt change. I plan to skip changing water pump and thermostat like last time. Save money. Why a water pump failure causes timing belt failure? Isn't it if it fails, it just won't pump water for cooling? Or is it the bearing fails that stretches the timing belt? Thanks.

155

Thats quite correct, If u are over 189 degrees i.e not on compression. it wont start.

155

You are wrong. you have to be on the compression stroke without being 180 degress off....