automatic overdrive

Asked by Feb 07, 2007 at 03:19 AM about the 1990 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon

I can't tell if my overdrive is working. At 60 mph I.m doing 3000 rpm.  70 is about 3500.
is my overdrive working?  unojaui@hotmail.com
thanks

19,805

Hello, The overdrive will kick in when you are accelerating, such as when you pass a car. You can feel the additional kick of power (I love it!) The average RPMs aren't as important as the RPMs when the overdrive kicks in. If you are nervous about if it is working or not, I would recommend taking to a mechanic. Otherwise, just go out there, pass a few folks, and see what happens! Best of luck! CarGrrl

65

Sorry, but overdrive is top gear. When it kicks down it's switching into 3rd gear for more rpms and more power. This model, I believe, should be around 2,500rpm at 70mph in overdrive; 3500rpm in 3rd.

65

My 2000 S70 GLT does around 2500rpm at 70rpm in overdrive and around 3500rpm at 70mph in 3rd.

125

That's about right for constant cruise speed. The overdrive will kick in if you hit the accelerator hard enough, you'll feel and hear it.

20

When you hit the accelerator hard it is known as "kickdown" and drops a gear for overtaking, this is often confused and called "overdrive" which is totally different. Overdrive takes the car up a gear and lowers the rev's for more efficient cruising.