1993 Volvo 240 with 85K miles. I'm considering buying - what is a fair price?

20

Asked by Apr 15, 2013 at 04:21 PM about the 1993 Volvo 240 Sedan

I'm trying to establish a fair price range for this vehicle. Considering buying it, haben't seen it yet. But want to go in
with an educated and fair amount to pay.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

these are good in snow..eh? not sure why the reputation exists being a 2 wheel drive with ordinary ground clearance. Personally have had 2 used Volvos and have nothing nice to say here, but draw you own conclusions, I'd chose a Toyota because the quality is unparalleled~ to each his own~

246,035

Did you check this site and www.kbb.com for similar ones for sale in your area?

99,055

Low mileage - good visibility - good reputation - fairly decent in the snow since it's a fairly heavy rear wheel drive. The question is it's value. It's twenty years old so prices are all over the place. Can you find parts to repair it?

20

As you note, tenspeed, the prices are all over the place. Thus you see my dilemma, Tom. It is hard to gauge a 'fair' price to offer, not being an expert, when those in the know are giving me widely varying figures --- from $1500 to $3500. I was quoted at $3900 by the dealer which just seems high for a twenty year old vehicle, but from everything I have read, they last forever and are super safe. Plus I'm into the vintage styling, must admit. :) Anyway, I'm thinking $2500.00 seems a fair price considering the low miles. But I don't want to insult anyone by looking like a low baller. That is why I'm looking for some advice. I'd like to be fair in my business dealings. Thanks everyone.

246,035

Oferr $2500, dealers aren't always fair. What do you have to lose, of course they will have to come down andon price to bring it to a number that you think is fair and stick to it. If you think you got a fair deal , then it's fair.

right away I changed the timing belt on both my Volvos, it was an easy job and the parts store will loan you the "volvo timing belt tool" to make holding the pulley much easier. Non-interference engines---both were impossible to mess up this installation~

99,055

The dealer won't be insulted by a low ball offer. Try taking a guess of how much they gave the guy for the trade in.

try a mini clubman for a change~