Electrical problem on mini 2006

Asked by Dec 01, 2013 at 09:34 AM about the 2006 MINI Cooper S Hatchback

Hi i have a mini cooper S 2006 i seem to have an electrical problem my radio will not turn
off and my windows dont go all the way up when i close the doors also my time clock
does not stay on and i have occasionally the ASC /DSC light showing .any help please
on what this could be .

Judge Roy...yoo hooo....he has one, and is an expert in these cars, among others

115

I am sad to tell you, BUT, 2005 and 2006 ’S’ model MINIs are KNOWN to have MANY electrical problems and bugs…I have a 2005 S ragtop (bought by myself brand new) and I have had IMPROPERLY DIAGNOSED electrical problems (at the dealership level) since the first year of ownership. The dealership, MARKHAM MINI in Markham Ontario, most particularly the present Service Manager, has consistently said it was/is a battery problem, then they came out with a new excuse-it was my way of driving. Anyway then they would NOT even replace the first battery (for N/C) which was still under warranty at the time. Even at the time of the first problem, and even though the car would NOT start AFTER it was brought out of the service bay and AFTER the battery was replaced, would they do anything more.Then they charged me in excess of $250.00 + taxes for the MINI branded battery they installed…..later on the EXACT SAME MINI BRANDED BATTERIES were supplied to me by CAA at a COST $100.00 each!!!! I have had 6 batteries now with complete drainage of each occurring overnight, and sometimes during the day when I was parked, say, at the grocery store, and when the car was parked in my garage and the following VERY "mysterious" things occurred:(1)the driver/passenger power windows went "up & down" all by themselves-never ending up fully opened nor fully closed-usually found in the middle of the window opening in the morning. The latter was the first bit of evidence indicating to me that something was wrong (2) the car’s interior lighting-map lights,larger reading lamp, etc; went off and on all by themselves (3) some interior lamps stayed on when the doors were closed overnight AND also in the day when the car was parked somewhere (4) even though I had the reading lamp turned off permanently, it, somehow, after many months of NOT turning ON-as I desired-suddenly managed to switch its functionality back ON again. Good grief! Please note I turned this function OFF in the first place because when the lamp turned itself on, and remained on for a long enough period, it created sufficient battery drain so as to make it impossible to start the car. With the BATTERIES being consistently drained, and changed, the clock was always dysfunctional as the dealer never seemed to remember to RESET the proper time. A month or so ago when I took time to go to the MARKHAM dealer to tell the Service Manager that my diligent and detailed research finally indicated the problems to be electrical, HE WOULDN’T EVEN BOOK AN APPOINTMENT FOR ME saying that I was too much trouble for him/the dealership and I should go to another dealership!!!! I did the latter and was charged nearly $700.00 by this other dealer to supposedly FIX the problem WHICH issues WERE BACK THE VERY NEXT DAY!!! I could go on and on but suffice to say YOU & I MUST keep on pushing BOTH the dealer AND MINI to FIX/PAY FOR the problems in evidence….it has apparently been proven up, many times over, that the NUMEROUS ELECTRICAL FAULTS INHERENT IN THESE VEHICLES IS THAT OF THE MANUFACTURER WHO SHOULD STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT AND NOT PUSH THEIR OWN CORPORATE FAULTS ON TO INNOCENT PURCHASERS. GOOD LUCK!!

1,225

My Mini was newer, a 2011 and it was free of those issues and any other problems. I think that you should 1st, go to the manager of the dealership and even the owner, explain about the service manager basically throwing you out after telling him of the problems and their ignoring the warranty. Show him all the receipts and if they do not make good on it, bring your efforts to the district manager. If that does not pan out, go directly to Mini USA. In the off chance that they can not help you, go to BMW North America. Good luck!

10

so many electrical problems, especially in the 2002 model. why doesn't the manufacturer issue recall and make these situations right? SHAME on MINI.....SHAME!!!!!! very bad way to handle business