What are some things that you can use as an iPod interface for the Mini? It doesn't have an AUX input or a casette player, and my city's radio stations are very clogged. Not great for an FM tuner.

55

Asked by Sep 06, 2008 at 10:34 PM about the 2006 MINI Cooper S Hatchback

25

You could plug an adapter into the back of your radio. You need to buy a kit from a BMW/MINI dealer or from an online store such as MiniMania (MiniMania sells the factory iPod adapter and interface but it is not cheap at $229. That kit however allows you to skip through songs and things like that from the steering wheel or radio interface). If you do not have Satellite radio or a wireless phone setup in you car (as those items will take up the extra slot in the back of your radio), you can plug into the back of the radio and wire the input cable into the glove box. Or instead of that you can just have the cable run loose through the side of the steering column cover (it is a plastic shield that covers up the bottom of the steering column). There are a lot of different ways that you can wire it though. A good source of kits and parts is www.crutchfield.com - they have a wide selection that you can choose from. Under the tab Car Audio & Video there is a section titled iPod/MP3 Car Adapters - from there you choose iPod Adapters for Car Stereos and pick out the make and model of your car and it will give you different choices of kits. I just have adapter that wires to a "audio in" jack in my glove compartment - from there I can connect an MP3 or iPod and play music on the car's auxiliary channel (however, I cannot control it from the stereo or the steering wheel like some of the more expensive kits). I hope this helped.

55

Yea man, that does help alot. So, if we did have a wireless phone set up, could we still do the wiring you described- being able to control it from the steering wheel?

25

You will not be able to control it as the wireless phone setup uses the extra port in the back of the radio. However, if this is some non factory after market accessory and it does not plug into the back of the radio, then you should be able to install the iPod kit.

55

Is there an input in the back of the radio that would allow me to use a cable that has, on one end- 1/8 headphone output and on the other end two audio outputs? The audio outputs would be like what you would plug into your TV. Would that work to run that into the back of the radio and then just run it through the glove box?

25

I am sorry but I do not know if there is a jack. If there is one it would be possible to run it through the glove box but you probably would only be able to control it on the iPod itself.

30

you can buy an antenna splitter. Its like a T input. two in and one out. When you turn it on it disables the vehicle antenna and accepts only what is plugged into the input (ipod). They can be had for about $35 at best buy.

55

Okay, so what exactly do you have to do when you connect it? Do you have to connect it to the back of the radio, or do you just keep it inside the car where your iPod would be?

5

on mine its in the glove box

65

IF YOURS IS A LATE MODEL 02 TO 06 HARD BODY OR 08 CONVERT. YOU CAN BUY AN AUX INPUT FROM THE DEALERSHIP FOR ABOUT THIRTY DOLLARS AND IT JUST PLUGS INTO THE BACK OF THE RADIO. IF YOUR CONSIDERING THIS ROUTE ASK ME HOW. I DO IT FOR A LIVING AT A MINI DEALERSHIP.