Mystery Rubber Blocks....why? 2006 Mini Boot

Asked by Sep 07, 2012 at 01:02 PM about the 2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback

Floating loose in the stowage area on the left and right sides are these rubber blocks.  They look like they clip-in somewhere, but where? and what are these? Why are they just loose in the boot?  Being a former rental, anything is possible.

Are these a suspension component gone awry?

4,315

Those are called jack pads, there are holes under your rocker panel where they would go into and used for jacks and hoists to lift the vehicle. Not a huge deal if they fall off I work on a lot of vehicles that are missing them. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

they are designed to roll around inside the trunk access areas? Certainly they should snap into a hole somewhere? Thanks for the info~ you rock!

3,145

They should be mounted along the chassis rails of you vehicle or with your jack set.

So close to the ground, cannot get in there without a jack/lift. Sadly, It's all sand around here and my beautiful MINI gets covered with dust, daily. Wish there was some pavement to park it on, but we are stuck. Just have to wait until we can get 'er up on a lift, then assess. Obviously their fastening system hasn't held. One would have to paint the backside with adhesive and clean off the dust, snap into positon and hope they hold. Because they are missing, yet the vehicle works just fine, we will just put them back where they were rolling around in the storage until we can service this car. 33,000 miles means it probably was brought in for the 30,000 maintainence...? who knows, will check the carfax?

155

I tend to use the 2x4 under the door sills as my jack points for my mini and the chassis is so rigid you can lift up both wheels with 1 point on the side

3,145

Just lay on you back and take a peek. You will see the notches very plainly.

Why are they loose in the rear cargo areas? They ought to be snapped into postion. Are they going to create an obstruction? Is this why they are currently not installed? This vehicle 'froggi' is not happy at this location, boulders and chalkdust, impossible to keep clean, a truck drives down the street and deposits silt. Need money for a garage. Tried rebuilding a Volvo here...it is treacherous. Don't drop a fastener. Currently have MS and am not supposed to do anything stressfull, so they will remail tumblin' around in the storage area- If I could conveniently get the car on a lift would have a shot at it~ Thanks for thinkin' about the mystery blox~

Finally got on my knees to find out where these belong. These people really should have provided (4) of them. The absence of them is a pocket for road dust and horribly road salt to lodge and wreak havoc. Should I purchase two more, then clean and use 3M adhesive to make them permanent? Currently 'froggi' resides in a dustbowl, not a salt bowl, thank heaven~

3,145

It might be worth it.

155

There are several companies that make a aluminum version of these in a lower profile overall a better product (Texas Speed Works ?!?)

Thanks Mark, anything to shave off a little weight might be helpful. I question the operation time before breakdown on this CVT transmission, Waterpump, Timing Gear. Any one of these can leave me curbside. Any thoughts on what this German/British creature has in store for me. Finally getting used to not knowing oil pressure of temperature or being able to adjust the idle speed-----Just leave it in the engineer's capable design decisions. 1.5 mm "shelf" on the rotors is passable??---~ Thanks for the Texas link!

A person needs these jackpoints if he wants to leave the underchassis undisturbed. Found that out today when I discovered the "temporary" nature~ has a pin in the middle to render the installation "permanent"- 6th street was especially cruel today and shattered the guard below the tranny, tore it off like cardboard. Lets hope the machine wasn't bothered- Have to find a suitable replacement~

MINI's are for pavement! this surface of the moon business is just cruel! Cannot recommend unpaved Clearlake---6th street and Sonoma street is undriveable! Where is my tax money, goverment funds? This place is sad sad poverty town, with NO HELP to pull us up!

I think I love my MINI cooper more than my residence!