what can this be?

Asked by Jul 09, 2013 at 05:27 PM about the 2006 MINI Cooper Convertible

My exterior lights work, headlights and blinker and even some interior things work, my radio and dome lights, but non of my dashboard works, my whole dashboard is out, gauges and all.  My fuel gauge doesn't read or my temp gauge.  Not even my convertible will open up.  Everything dead.  Car runs fine just my dash blank.  And all my fuses checked out.  Anybody know what this could be and has anybody ran into this before? Help please

Does your radio and climate control work ok?

My radio works but not the ac.

I would have this looked at by a MINI specialist that has the proper equipment of course. But my guess would be if all the fuses are good that you have an issue with the general module. That modules controls many things in the vehicle. Of course you need to have this looked at by a specialist to make sure.

My battery was getting weak in my 2010 Mini and I foolishly stopped at a local discount chain and had them install an aftermarket. Right away the electrical had issues. In my case the blinkers, interior lamps, dash board etc. I took it to the dealer and ended up having to replace the FRM unit. They explained it was the built in component that regulated power to all the various parts of the car. Somehow it was damaged by the aftermarket battery...Could be similar to your situation?