When the engine stopped l tried to restart it but because of the antifreeze and fuel in the cylinder's it just hydraulic. Only when I pulled the plugs out and drain the cylinder's. Then was able to turn the engine over. I had no indication that anything was wrong,no loss of antifreeze or white smoke.I have checked the oil and found no indication of antifreeze in it.

60

Asked by Apr 07, 2013 at 10:09 AM about the 1998 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4WD

8,205

The first thing is that if you had that much coolant in the cylinders, you must have suffered some sudden failure that hydrolocked the engine before you got any of the normal warnings. It could be a head gasket, but probably more likely a crack in the block that goes from one cylinder to the water jacket. The first step is to do a compression test, and go on from there. I am betting that one cylinder will have zero compression.

Oben, oh man. you have gone from running rich, which I think you solved, now this,,I feel for ya man. but pay attention to Michael, he is very good. please listen to him

Not intending to mean the Judge is not, that didn't come out right

3,080

What happened prior to lockup?

yes. H25 really must limit my postings to things that a person can use, rather than senseless commentary...someday I'll learn to put a lid on the gravy boat~

Don't do that Judge. I for one am very interested in anything you have to say.. speak as you please, it's all good,all

well no one wants a wise acre just compounding complications, rather than putting something out there a person can use...if nothing else for reference...up, up and awaaaay~ see it's not a happy zone, but mere steeped in confusion and reflection~

still don't get how daft a person must be to be smelling popcorn, visualizing the steam pouring out of the engine, looking at the gauge saying "HOT"....stop the vehicle and tend to the cookin' motor....hey, but you got back to the house? didn'tcha?....without the nummy popcorn~

61,155

Sounds like a head gasket. But yes, perform that compression test to confirm. HTH. -Jim

60

I have been the only driver,what I can't understand I'v never overheat it.So don't you have to over heat the motor to get a cracked block or blow a headgasket?

Oben, expensive lesson. We'll pick up the pieces and see what we're able to do to put you back in traffic...soon~

8,205

For there to be THAT much fluid in the cylinder, it sounds more like a cracked block than anything else to me. A head gasket is not likely to allow that much rad fluid in that quickly. The other problem is that if it hydrolocked that way, you may well have damaged the crankshaft. I've a funny feeling that replacing, not rebuilding, the engine is going to be the only cure.

...or maybe not~

3,080

Intake gasket, if it has a aluminum intake it will expand and contract separately from the head eventually chewing the gasket. When the plugs got wet, no fire hence gas and anti freeze in the cylinders. Pull the intake run a bastard cross the intake gasket surfaces then regasket done deal.

8,205

I've never heard of a catastrophic intake gasket problem on the 350, Vortec or not. Yes, the plugs would get wet and stop firing, but there would not be so much rad fluid in the cylinder from a leaking intake manifold gasket. It takes a significant amount of fluid to hydrolock an engine, and that is the thing. I would still do a compression test, and if it passes that, a lead down test, to determine the state of play before I start taking things apart. It may be something fairly simple, but it could also be something very complex or expensive, and my bet is still on the latter, unfortunately, and that is because the engine hydrolocked. Head and intake gasket failures don't often flood an engine to that extent.