Are organic pads quieter and will they make the car stop better?

Asked by Dec 16, 2014 at 12:24 PM about the 2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS

I just had my front and rear brakes replaced.  I am now experiencing a very slight grinding noise when depressing my brake pedal (medium to hard) with a very slight vibration in the pedal.  On inspection by a qualified mechanic, he said to replace the pads and shoes with organic ones as he saw nothing wrong with the suspension or brakes.  Only other work done are new struts front and rear, an alignment, and new tires. Wheel bearings were checked and found to be sound as well as front rotors, which had no warping.

20,160

Most new vehicles use ceramic pads. Organic pads are not as good. When you had the brake job done they did not turn or replace the rotors. Big mistake! The grinding is the new pads seating into the old rotors. The vibration is because they are indeed warped. That is the sound and feeling you are having. They should have put new rotors on your Elantra not just pad slap them.

Hi Trans Am77, That is the perplexing part, I had rotors and drums replaced as part of the brake job, so it is not likely thy are out of round. I had O'Rielly's Auto Parts store test the rotors and they were good, no warping...I did not have the rotors tested as they were also new. The mechanic at Hyundai recommended I replace the ceramic pads with organic as he said they were better in stopping power, but made more dust. Any ideas of what can be causing that vibration or noise? Thanks for the help.

20,160

Well if your positive everything was actually replaced and replace properly it could be a wheel bearing, tie rod ends or the steeting rack itself causing the vibration. The grinding noise could be a dust sheild rubbing the rotors or calipers.

I also have same problem w/horrible frt brake pad noise! Kept taking them back, while still under warranty. Finally was told, that the 06 Hyu Elantra's were known for that w/after market brake pads used! So, to fix my grinding noise, I need to buy Hyundai brake pads only! What a bunch of crap!!

P.S Also had new rotors put on at same time. Guy at Goodyear told me our town sheriff has the very same brake noise problem! His wife drives it & complains about it all the time!