Idle issues on a 2006 Hyundai Elantra 2.0L GLS

Asked by Dec 08, 2014 at 06:06 PM about the 2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS

I recently did some work on my Elantra, replacing the rear struts, rear brakes, while also deciding to change the engine oil/filter and the transmission oil at the same time.  

Once I got all the work done. I started it up and it would idle roughly and lower than normal a bit at the start. I figured maybe the fuel just needed to cycle through a bit since it sat for 2 and a half weeks, so I drove it around for a while to make sure the brakes were all good. Then I left it over night.

Next day I started it up again sat there and the same thing would happen but after about a minute or 2 chugging along it would go into a high idle around 1100 rpm and stay there while park was engaged, tripping the MIL with a p507 code. Once I engage drive or reverse the idle goes down to 800ish rpm.  Consistently now every day it's the same thing.

Yesterday I started it with the same concerns and drove it to work (30 - 40 minute trip).  When I arrived to the parking lot and put it park, it went right back to idling high again at 1100.

I'm just having a hard time putting together the pieces of a low rough idle to start, then it changes to a high idle after a minute or so.

No issues like this prior to doing this work.

I haven't had the opportunity to diagnose it yet really as I've been back to work but maybe if someone might have some ideas on where to start, that'd be awesome.

I have since filled up the tank and ran a fuel system cleaner through it.

Cheers.

12,390

Check for vacuum leaks would be a place to start. Bump the pcv or something while you were fooling around in there?

Checked, no vacuum leaks. Pcv really not in a place to bump it but I removed it and cleaned it just in case. Cleaned throttle body and IAC. Managed to clear out the rough idle. But I still get the high idle... The pcv rattles when I shook it but I'd imagine that is normal?

12,390

Yes, the pcv should rattle. How did you check for vac leaks?

12,390

Could be an idle air control valve problem. There are vids on you tube on how to test this. It would also be a good idea to clean the throttle body.

ever figure it out? mine does the same thing