Why me :-/ car runs hotter than it does normally after driving 8-10 miles or waiting a few min at long stop light it will sound and feel like its going to die out

Asked by Jan 29, 2017 at 01:45 AM about the 1998 Chevrolet Prizm 4 Dr LSi Sedan

Then it starts to run sluggish or like Its struggling
and at this point it changes gear late. it smells a
little hot  but has water  and over flow always
seems to be full. I dont see water in the oil but
water has brown rusty color foamy stuff at rip and
on radiator cap . Please any ideas id appreciate
any input im a short tempered/ irritated female
trying my best at it myself

80

My guess would be improper cooling capabilities. Perhaps getting clogged up, or thermostat could be faulty, water pump could be faulty. Dirty or contaminated fluid should always be changed.... I hate to recommend things in haste but, id take it to a shop and perhaps have the cooling system flushed and filled to start off. This may not help at all either and id like to say you dont waste your money as flushing the system cant possibly hurt when its rusty looking. What kind of vehicle and year are we talking about???

80

oh....now i see the car model....lol sorry.

80

I find that foamy fluid is a result of low level or incorrect additives. Again my opinion is to take to a reputable shop and describe problem then ask about the flush and fill with thermostat replacement to start off with. There may also be a problem with electric cooling fan engagement due to fluid level or contamination. Wait for more answers here and see what popular opinion is.

254,225

Mrratchet has some good points. Hard to say what is exactly going on, but you are overheating it seems, that's why it is running sluggish. Worse case is a headgasket issue, aka, oil is mixing with the coolant. Mizz, have you owned the vehicle since new, or a long period of time? I'd like to know if the coolant has ever been changed? Maybe a past owner added a stop leak product for an issue and now it is surfacing. Those only work temporarily.