1998 Chevy Prizm Clutch alignment (piolot bearing ?)

Asked by Apr 15, 2012 at 03:14 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Prizm 4 Dr STD Sedan

I am replacing the clutch assembly, and am ready to put the clutch back on the flywheel.  Does this car model require a pilot bearing, and if not, how is the clutch aligned?   The new clutch kit has an alignment tool, and it looks like it requires a pilot bearing to center the tool.

12,785

Yes it does and the price is about $35.

When I took the old clutch off of the flywheel, there was not a pilot bearing in the center hole of the flywheel. The main shaft on the transmission doesn't have a bearing surface, instead the splines extend all the way to the edge of the shaft. How would this shaft fit on the pilot bearing?

12,785

Is this what your clutch looks like?

Yes, the picture above looks more or less like what I have purchased. The kit did have a new throwout bearing, just like the picture does, but not a pilot bearing. I tried to find a pilot bearing listed for sale through all the discount auto parts houses on the 'Net, but no one has one for either the Prizm or the Corolla in the years '98 - '02. The GM manual implies there is a pilot bearing, since it offers a special tool and a procedure for replacing it. I think the only thing left to do is call the dealer tomorrow and see if they have one listed in their parts inventory.

12,785

I found the part at Rock Auto....... NATIONAL Part # MSNB5305GTBV Cylindrical Bearing. It's about $30