How to put automatic transmission fluid on a chevrolet malibu 1998 model?

Asked by Apr 13, 2015 at 10:21 AM about the 1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS

35

Here is what I have found to be the best answer for you. It seems like the easiest way to do it is to take it to a dealer. -- Drop the pan & gasket, change the filter, then wipe out and refit the pan & gasket. -- Pour 6qts of GM, Quaker State, or other quality Dexron III fluid into the trans through the fill hole at the top of the trans under the P/S pump area. -- Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid temperature has reached operating temperature -- Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. -- Return the shift lever to the PARK range. -- The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range -- Put a pan under the trans at the right side axle seal area. -- Remove the 10mm head plug from the end of the trans housing. (remember, you still need the engine running at this point) -- Add DEXRONïż½ III automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5L until the fluid drains from the plug hole. -- Allow fluid to finish draining out of the plug hole. -- Install the plug and tighten. -- Wipe any excess fluid from the transmission with a rag or shop towel. It can be quite a headache to complete the fluid fill procedure while the car is on the ground. You can do it with the front of the car up on ramps, and the rear axle raised and supported to the same height on jackstands, as the car must be level to achieve the correct fluid level.