Step by step on how to change the water pump and the starter..

Asked by Nov 05, 2007 at 09:30 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS

The water pump is leaking fluid therefore I believe its time to change it.
The starter sounds like it doesn't engage the engine before the silenoid kicks out. Please what do I have on my hands as for as replacement is concern?

not to bad a job, first take off serpintine belt,2,take pully off water pump 4 bolts,3,take off water pump watch how bolts come out some may be longer than others 4,clean off block wherw u took out w-pump make sure all old gasket is removed.5,put new w-pump gasket on pump do not use gasket maker.6 when buying parts ask for yellow glue in red box,best stuff to put gaskets on 6 glue gasket to waterpump,let stand 5 minutes.put nothing on block,reinstallw-pump pully and belt should be picture of routing of belt in front rail, fill with antifreze drive about 15 min turn off let engine cool down top off with antifreze.job done,all in about 2 hrs. starter, pull car on rampslock down e-breakun hook battery neg ok.I A M TAKING IN MIND IT IS A V6.starter in front of motor,have to lay on back.should be black plastic cover over fly wheel at back of startertake off,throw away? 2 bolts at back of starter straight up one long other short pull out of trans easy unhook wires rember how they go can tape them drop starter replace new one,gears on starter to fly wheel,put wires back first put starter in up .rehook battery crank if makes noise will have to shim starter.45 min to hour job.good luck.

Typically you do need to shim the GM starters, usually a 0.025-0.030 shim will do fine. You may want to get a Haynes manual as well to guide you through this, as it's nice to have torque specifications for the water pump and starter bolts especially.