What is the best way to repair a leaking roof on a 1996 toyota mr2 t-bar?

45

Asked by Apr 04, 2012 at 04:52 PM about the 1995 Toyota MR2 Turbo T-bar

My MR2 is leaking DRASTICALLY n the drivers side, seems that the rubber seal has come away from the car a little but generally just  not water tight? please help!

10

Good luck. I had a '94 TransAm with T tops, and could not get the leaks to stop if you want them to stay functional. A body shop may have some idea how to help you, especially if you don't care if you ever take them off again.

6,555

put in new weather striping and caulk arroung the weather striping.

25

if it's the rubber for the roof that's leaking just get some new rubber seals and fit. Takes only 1 hour to do good job and not expensive

135

Mine leaked badly even thought the seals were still in good shape. This is mostly due to a badly designed dam where it transitions from the channels around the glass to the channels in front and behind the door. I used pure silicone to build up the seals on the top side near the pins that lock it in place are and that fixed it for two years so far.

Best Answer Mark helpful
45

James, how do you 'build up the seals' with silicone? I think what youre saying about the dam is whats going wrong?

45

Thanks everyone for your help

135

I just continued the air filled inner seal (the one that goes around the majority of the glass) down to the out side of the car and then turned toward the front or the back depending on which I was doing. If you look at it they planned on the a little hole to transition to the front and back channels which always plugged on me after month or so. The goal of the silicone is to make your own channel to let the water flow the proper drains. I wish I had photos but I no longer have the car anymore(really miss it now that I sold it sigh...)

475

You can get new seal form twosrus.com if they are in bad condition. Also, you can put new eccentric guides to replace your stock strait ones. Using silicone is not the way to go... Of course there is a design flaw/issue, but those cars don't deserve a silly silicone treatment! Those guides are pretty cheap (like 5$ ea) and if installed, you get a sort of adjustment by using those wich will most likely to correct the situation. Also, I've seen some doors wich the alignment wasn't so good. In time, the hinges are getting worn and the doors need t obe readjusted. Window height can also be adjusted... not adding silicone...

135

Silicone = $2 plus one nice day and in 1 hour I fixed it for 2 years. I fail to see how what I did was a bad idea. I still retained full functionality from my T-tops without ever having a drop of water come in the car. As I stated earlier mine were still in good shape just a little old however I think they would have leaked from day one.

95

Im not sure I would suggest building up silicone as an answer. These windows did not leak from the factory design and a build up of silicone may just move the entry point of the leak. If your seals are brittle and shot, you have no choice. Having a 91 turbo I am restoring and another car that leaked, the most common thing I have found is the drains are clogged and possibly cracked drain tubes. The drains are hidden behind the rubber seals in the corners nearest the door glass or outside corners. They are there to drain puddling or standing water. In the MR2 they drain out through the quarter glass vent located in that smaller glass behind the door glass on the rear qtr panel. Pull the vent off by hand. you will see a small tube protruding into the back corner of the black box which the vent snaps into. Blow some compressed air into the drain tub at the T top drain. You should feel a strong stream of air. Clean the tube by forcing compressed air until you see all the garbage blow out of it and you feel a strong stream of air. Replace the vent, re install the T top and your leak will be gone.