Fuse Blows

Asked by Feb 24, 2011 at 10:09 PM about the 1992 Toyota MR2 Turbo T-bar

The 120 Amp fuse keeps blowing.  I cannot trace the problem even with a wiring diagram.  Now, the 80 Amp fuse for the ABS has just blown too.  Any thoughts?

If your talking about the main bus fuse for your power distribution box I'd suspect the alternator is shorting out, disconnect the alternator and run the car (short distance only) the way you did when the fuse blew the first time, if it does not blow the fuse then replace the alternator.

That was my theory too as it looks like the alternator fields have shorted to the case. We disconnected it and ran it for a while w/out any problem. It still could be bad. However, the power steeering has not worked in a while, and was intermittent so I am about to troubleshoot the electric ps system to see if that is the culprit. The car belongs to my brother who is trying to get this fixed so he can sell it. No shop wants to touch it.

Oh! It did blow again a few days after disconnecting the alternator.