1998 Chevy Lumina won't start

Asked by Jul 29, 2011 at 04:09 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr STD Sedan

Car won't start. The dashboard lights and radio come on and when ignition is turned the car only goes "click." Battery, battery connection, and altenator checks out fine. Replaced the starter and car is still doing the same thing.  Plus starter smoked some after the 1st key turn once the new starter was put in. Please help.  What's wrong?

2,995

im guessing u have the 3100 motor can u spin the engine by hand or by ratchet on crank pulley? check coolant level engine is known for lower intake gaskets going bad and check oil for milky oil indicating coolant in oil if u have a full radiator and can turn engine by hand check ingition wire at starter for proper voltage could be a bad starter relay if coolant is entering cylinders and hydrostatically locking the motor u need to pull all plugs and crank coolant out of cylinders and do a lower intake job on it and clean egr ports on intake while off and change oil lastly and i would change oil a second time after getting running to get most of crap out of engine for intake job u will need valve cover gaskets upper and lower intake gaskets egr gasket and oil and filter for 2 oil changes and dex cool coolant

70

What about if it doesn't even click the starter, but every thing else works.