My 91 MR2 has 2 different sized tires; front and back. Why?

Asked by Feb 01, 2013 at 05:05 PM about the 1991 Toyota MR2 T-bar

Is it required to have these different sized tires?  If So, I'm curious why.

how different? width? certainly not diameter. Could this just be a ruse? You should check your dealership to make sure this is correct!

Required? no.

89,815

Some people put larger tires on the rear for styling. Some cars, such as the Lexus IS- F come that way from the factory.

whatever gets you closer to god~

a ladder? Oh, boy, I am not even going THERE

5,705

It could have to do with the fact that it is a rear engine car and that's where the largest ammount of weight is. By no means is it required but if the person you bought it from tracked the car at all that could be why they are a staggered sizing. does the vehicle have any sort of performance mods and if so what, the person who did it may have a reason for it. I put Staggered wheel on my MR2 because it was a track car.

Best Answer

Thanks for the info. The car has no performance mods. Actually, I wish it had a bit more pickup; but that would probably just get me in trouble..

25

Early SW20 cars were known to be a bit tail happy, hence many, including mine, had staggered wheels fitted.

435

to improve rear stability. all stock 1991 mr2s had 195/60R14 Front and 205/60R14 Rear In 93, it's getting wider. 205 front and 225 rear on 15in rims. Suspension design was also changed to reduce the snap oversteer that could kill you

Those are the sized tires I have on the car. Do you know if it's ok to go to the 225's on the back on a '91? Or do you think it will rub on the wheel well or suspension?

435

I have currently installed 245/35R17 on the rear. It depends the offset of your rims. Keep in mind, you must stay in a 5% ratio of the original wheel. Since you seem to keep them stock. You need to find 225/55R14. Those might be hard to find and I'm not sure if they fit the original rims (too large for the rims).

435

Keep also in mind that Front rims and rear rims are different size. If I remember, front rims are 14x6.5 and rear rims are 14x7.

90

Starting in 1991 MR2 came from the factory with 195/60-14s on 6-inch wheels in front, 205/60-14s on 7-inchers out back. My tire guy recommended keeping it that way, and I do--.though it limits tire rotating... Oh and btw, I will never understand why know-it-alls who actually know NOTHING about the answer to a question feel compelled to give an answer anyway...