Drive, Propeller shaft interchangeable

Asked by Mar 15, 2013 at 03:11 PM about the 2006 Mazda Tribute i AWD

My daughter has a 2006 Mazda Tribute, 4WD, 3 .0L Engine Automatic. Drive shaft is bad. She can’t afford a new one. If I get a used drive shaft for a 2006 there is a good chance that will not be in great shape either.  Can I interchange the shaft from say a 2010 Mazda Tribute, 4WD, 3 .0L Engine Automatic. Chances are better of getting a good shaft from a later model. Thanks.

102,295

What is wrong with the shaft? We used to change the U joints and reuse them.

The shaft has rusted very badly and become unbalanced.

hey, they are only around forty dollars a shaft at rockauto.com~

I had a driveshaft balanced for $15. Now, that was about 10 years ago, so say double it. Then it can be bead blasted, another $15 bucks, totaling more than the one Bob mentioned, not to mention all the running around with a driveshaft sticking out your window in the back seat unless you have a truck. Go for that one at Rock.. As for your original question Gowl the only way to know for sure is try it, put a tape measure on both first

I gotta start proof reading my answers before posting instead of correcting them 4 times and re posting sheesh

you know you are the undisputed master, H25 and whatever you post can be deleted, and so what? is my point...yes this is all going down on someone's personal ledger for possibly containing facts they'll be makin' money off of, but Henry is a beloved character, and wants to make this place comfortable for those who participate, actually not putting any Adchoices, animateds to the guru entry windows area...heck of a guy, kudos to him if he's checkin' us out right now....anyhow..permanent, my friend, how does that make you feel?

Better already. I just make a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes, type things out without even watching the screen and post, sometime looks like a 2nd grader wrote it, so I copy it, edit it, and re post

wow. kinda sets you apart from the gleanings of 7jimmy7...personally used to be a technical writer for Polycold, inc (manufacturers of super-conducting-super chillers) that would approach this through 'cascade' cooling, anyhow fired the guy who did that job and yours truly was pulled out of the cad stations to do the job, as the only one who really knew English.