All my dash light came on, my speedometer stopped working and I lost power steering. 10 min later went back to normal and is happening every 20 min or so of driving

Asked by Jul 22, 2013 at 07:07 PM about the 2006 Mazda RX-8 6-speed

the ECU is not grounding correctly....unfortunately auto makers like to combine functions of their ground(s)...the starter really needs the cold- cranking amperage...that's why we use the big honkin' 1/0 battery cable...this connection to the frame/chassis is the only way the system gets to see the negative power from the battery...unfortunately this connection (while branched to the motor block) actually "welds" itself into position...your ECU depends on this source of ground for the components like the speedometer...the loss of power steering would indicate that the motor too has lost it's grounding...surprised it kept running...frankly...what you must do is insure the battery is newer than five years old then disconnect the fat ole black cable what connects to the chassis ground...attack that connection point with a wirebrush...then the motor connection too (near the alternator), this will in effect cause an ECU reset...which is the cause for concern...ECU's do not like varying voltages and amperages which is what you'll get from "dirty ground" which is what I believe is what is happening...refresh your ground renew the connection to chassis....resetting this should make your troubles vanish~

please take a look at your component belt...is worn chafing at the idler and makin' noise...P/S problems are discovered when you are parallel parking...surprised you connected the speedo and steering as the same problem...yes...not related...at all~

22,635

Not to take anything from cargurus, but it is kind of a special car ( rotory powered ). I would go ask over where the experts for the RX8 are and maybe find a quick fix for this. Heres the link: http://www.rx8club.com/

the belt tension is marginal indicating a WEAK tensioner...resulting in a loss of power steering~------ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg1AX77xEBQ

22,635

Well Roy if you had searched the RX forum as I did you would see that there has been an on going issue with the steering rack connector and rack its self on the RX8. Here you go Roy, you dont have to take my word for it. Read it yourself : http://www.rx8club.com/rx-8-discussion-3/why-hasnt-been-power-steering-issue-been-addressed-rx8-191069/

sorry Michael...I must be stupid~ apparently the power steering is made by NASA on this model~

22,635

Im just just here to help Kristopholus get their RX8 in proper working order just like you are Roy. Mazda knows there is a problem and from what I understand they never fixed the issue! Its not rocket science!

Michael, I am not working (MS stopped that) but would like to help yet~ These are tricky machines....we never had the alloys available that we do now back when the RX-7 was popular...that made the RX-8 possible...the strength to weight ratio is unparalleled....sadly not fuel efficient, but goes like hell~....apologize for not diggin' in with the forums...these "incognito" links 'bout drive me mad~...apologies all the way around~

22,635

No worries. Just trying to find the best answers.

i did a motor swap from 2004 rx8 to a 2006 including wire harness. it ran great for a couple of days then now all my warning lights, my speedometer doesn't work and it doesn't crank over anymore. any ideas?