how fast can it get up to?

5

Asked by May 07, 2008 at 11:01 AM about the 2006 Mazda RX-8 6-speed

10

145

55

governor is at 148, drag limited at 150-155 stock.

540

ok the question is what are you willing to spend to get this thing to be a rocket... you get this thing chipped and moded you can make this thing take off.. im talking huge power and even more tourque..remember its a turbine, a freaking plane engine.. dio you think you want to race this?? start thinking bigger turbo.. straight exhaust.. nos... and reduce weight.. no cop would ever catch you!! think about what you want

8,375

Firstly to Darrin... Mazda=Ford nowadays Two, takek it to a track and find out for yourself. More fun than asking... Make sure your tires are speed rated though, and inflated properly. After all, it can only go as fast as you can make it go.

155

FYI, I work for the largest Mazda retailer in the Midwest and I like the RX-8. Originally Mazda wanted to make the RX-8 turbocharged but due to emission regulations in California it had to scratch that idea. A turbocharged RX-8 would not pass emission standards in California so Mazda went with the naturally aspired Renesis rotary. I hate California for this because if the RX-8 had a turbo it would sell a whole lot better. The car is amazing but it just can't compete in the horsepower category with the competition. You can top it off with the right mods to the car and go even faster.

125

I agree, a turbo RX-8 would have been an awesome car to follow up to the RX-7's standards. But today it's a failure to the Rotary Powered RX line because of no turbo. BTW, I drive a FC (2nd Generation RX-7), heavily modded, single turbo 13B, streetported, Racing Beat ECU, new exhaust, upgraded injectors, bigger turbine (14.8 PSI from factory 7 PSI). This can easily hit a top speed in excess of 260 km/h on long straightaways like the highway. An RX-8 will hit 150 tops. Only until a turbo is added.

55

I drive a turbo'd RX-8 as my daily driver. Beautiful car... flies to 100 (on the track, not on the streets) like it's nothing, and begs for more. I haven't found a track to test top speed, but from what I've read people with similar setups to mine can get to 170-ish. Attached a picture of the engine bay.

35

there is no chip for this car

95

On Youtube. many of them can hit 160 without a Turbo.

55

148 stock

15

mayb km/h.....148 stock mph in 5th you can only get about 136 in 6th...ive poured money into mine like crazy and still havent found enough road to do 160 neways

35

The Wankel rotary engine is originally a German design, so it's not totally Japanese. American cars in the same price range are mostly crap anyways, but, to each his own.

105

top speed is reported at 146-148, however I have only been able to get it up to 140 (mine's standard). I bought it used so I'm not sure how well the previous owner treated it :(

1,285

its a turbine.... sure cant be stock thiers only been one car ever made with a turbine engine....

155

How much power are you making on this best???????

35

For those that said its a turbine engine that is completely wrong. The engine is a 1.3 liter 2-rotor wankel. There is NO pistons, no cylinder head. If you really want to know more about it read up on rx8club.com

Apparently you are a moron and don't what you're talking about.

15

I have done 186km/hr. on a straight road. No mods.... except for the K&N Air Filter.

45

it can get up to 297 km/h

15

I've been 144 mph in mine, only stopped there cause I about ran out of road. She still had more in her... Its completely stock, with the manual tranny... I've read that it does 152 stock...

10

i own a rx8 2005 shinka edition it looks and sounds good but the car is slow as hell. no power i lost to a chevy colbolt. what a disappointment of a car !!!!!!!!!!!

how much did that setup cost u i mean putting in the turbo and everything. from purchase to instal how much was it total?

30

U can only get it up to about 100 before the 5/0 is after u then u can run about 145

I have a 05 rx8 6 speed and when I kept my car stock I had no problem hitting 155mph in 5th gear Evey time and 165 in 6th. I haven't tried to go faster since I put a magnaflow exhaust and a Aem CAI

805

the real answer is "Faster than you will ever be able to go on most roads" lol. Fyi though before you try and hit the 180 mark in the car, upgrade the aerodynamics... otherwise the ending is not pleasant.

375

I've done 240km/hr in my 2004 RX8 6 GT. The auto's I'm assuming will have trouble hitting that with less power.

10

It doesn't matter the top speed of a car, a corvette can barely hit 100 mph in a 1/4 mile stock, I've seen that "jap" car eat a mustang gt for breakfast in a street race, say what you want but the rotary is a work of art and was band from insurance races because of its durability, you gotta hand it to the Japanese they know how to make more speed with less power better then anyone

I have a 2004 rx8 just hit 90000 and it gets upto 187 km h 3:)

10

I love my RX8 , I could even dance with it. I have it since June 7 2004 brand new. That's my teenager rebeling in the road. I said that was going to be my car. Ever since I saw it on fear factor I LOVED IT. I even have a cover for it red and black the car is red . Garage kept it still looks new. now i have 39,000 miles on it highway miles . I Don't drive it in the winter time I only drive it on nice days. NO SNOW DAYS, got to give it LOVE, mine is loaded and leather seats red and black and I have tape and cd hard to find .I still could Lisend to my Freestyle MUSIC, Love it and hook up your phone with general wireless tape and you don't need to seach for any stations. It's the best. VERY, VERY FUN CAR I ONLY TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP FOR SERVICE because I don,t want any body messing it up. And when you drive threw town short drives befor turning car off reved engine to 3ooorpm and turn right off. so nothing will buildup and keeps it clean. check it out on u2. Lupie

The funniest car I have ever owned, I have rebuilt 2 muscle cars and have driven SUV's and everything else but my God! What a sensational car! It does have its quirks which I experienced on Xmas night, I have only had the car for less than a year, it's a 2007I bought it with only 48000km and I am still learning about the car! It's fast. I read an article last week saying it's the best preforming car in North America under$10000.00 and I believe it after the the two coast to coast drive that I did this year, all I can say is fucking amazing!