Needing to replace the rotors on my 8. Can anyone tell me if PRIME AUTO PARTS are any good?

155

Asked by Feb 11, 2012 at 03:12 PM about the 2004 Mazda RX-8 4-speed

I have to buy new rotors for my 2004 Mazda RX8 and am wondering if the ones I see that
happen to be the lowest priced ones from PRIME AUTO PARTS ARE GOOD ENOUGH??

415

When purchasing brake rotors, there are many important factors that come into play. Depending on how you drive your RX-8, the correct brake rotors could appear very different. If you have a tendency to drive fast and brake hard (i.e. race applications), you will most likely want a more dependable brand of brakes such as Wilwood or Brembo. If you are easy on your vehicle then there is no reason these would not work, as long as there are no aftermarket modifications to your vehicle. If you have aftermarket suspension, there is a chance that these will not work for you. If the vehicle is stock, I recommend going to CarQuest or NAPA and getting a second opinion before purchasing these brakes online. You may also want to compare thickness of the rotors, as well as composition, as those are the two main determinants of how long they will last.

Best Answer
255

lol oops, i thought you were talking bout engine rotors X D sorry bout that. but yeah... try to get carbon ceramic brakes i am not sure about the cheaper brands but I know mazdaspeed has a limited lifetime warranty on their brake pads, so i suggest those. reason why you should definetly get carbon ceramic brakes is because they wont leave brake dust all over your rim every time you drive your 8. Good thing to have.

155

Thank you for answering.. I didn't realize my question posted twice! Speaking of rims.. This year mine look like they are rusting :( I'm not sure of the brand name our even what they are made of. I have looked for them online but haven't found them. I find similar ones and they call out a mirror finish. what should I clean them with? Is there anything to protect the finish when the carhas to be driven in the snow and Salt?

415

If they are rusting you may consider having them sandblasted and powdercoated. I don't know of any specific protection kits but am sure they are available at any local auto parts store. Meguiar's is a good brand to check out, and Turtle also makes some quality chemicals(like wax, etc). There are some really neat powder coats that can be added. I have a friend in southern indiana that does it, and has lately been applying textured coats that look awesome on the right rims. Ill try to remember to post a picture when I get home.

155

Thank you, I am looking forward to seeing some pics!

415

Here is one of the wheels he did for a VW GTI

255

looking for the right rim can really change the appearance of your car for the good or the bad, looks like you are aware with the rims you had on their but if you are looking for a weight reduction try looking into Enkei RPF1 or PF01s if you are looking for styling try BBS or volk rims, hope that helps, and dont forget to make sure the rims properly fit the car and the tires you currently own! hope that helps.