how good is the 1995 mazda rx-7 in all aspecs

2,165

Asked by Jan 18, 2013 at 11:52 PM about the 1995 Mazda RX-7 Turbo

24,115

First of all...Let me ask: Have you EVER owned an RX-7 before (of any year)? The reason I'm asking is that I can tell you after owning a 1991 RX-7 (non-turbo), that the car is very nice, high compression ration with the Rotary engine gives you good performance..BUT it's a completely different animal than ANY other sports car than I've owned. I wouldn't be able to cover ALL aspects of the twin-turbo 1995 RX-7, but what I can tell you is that the twin-turbo rotary had a poor reputation for durability (In my experience, the non-turbo rotary I had needed to be babied, because of it's high consumption of oil in the rotary gears...twin turbo no doubt compounded this problem). Also, many used '95 TT RX-7 has been driven hard, raced and modded with after-market parts. You should have a good mechanic on standby, who knows how to work on Rotary Engines as well. BUT, it's lightweight,agile and fast with 255 HP and definitely an all-out sportscar. Still looks as beautiful and exotic today as it did in 1995! Don't get me wrong, I love the RX-7 (not crazy about the RX-8) and probably be one of the 1st in line if they ever bring back the RX-7!

15

I have one ('95) and can tell you it's a fantastic vehicle in every way. This vehicle shouldn't be a daily driver anyway due to it's fuel economy and it does require some maintenance where most vehicles do not however, it is simple to maintain. I use Pettit Racing's fuel lubricant during every fill fuel fill-up and check the oil frequently. I see approximately .25 quarts used per 500 miles but its not a big deal. One should check all their fluids, tires etc. anyway periodically. That being said you should certainly invest (as I did) in all reliabilty items first. I was lucky enough to find a low mileage and unmolested RX-7 and the first thing i did was completely upgrade the cooling system. New radiator, air separation tank, silicone hoses, coolant flush, low thermostat and fc thermoswitch upgrade all done first. Then removed the downpipe (precat) which is said to trap heat near the engine even after shutoff. Ive had no problems at all. Had the vehicle dyno'd bone stock when i purchased it and had 219rwhp and now has 306rwhp. I can tell you that people love this car everywhere I go. You won't find a better looking car for less than $20k, I gaurantee it.