Ok I have a 96 mx6 v6 and can't get it idle right I rev it up a few times holds idle at about 1000 rpms only for maybe a min then starts to die I've replaced the plugs wires cap button and intake elbo

Asked by Jun 16, 2015 at 10:59 PM about the 1996 Mazda MX-6 2 Dr M-Edition Coupe

And still can't get it to idle right can't pass
inspection last time I tried it said it wasn't
firing right on 2 cylinders any help is
appreciated thx

3,415

idle valve on rail

3,415

Yeah, sounds to be more than likely a faulty idle air valve. Try removing it and then cleaning out the port it sits in with a bottle of brake cleaner and a screwdriver or small wire brush. Remember not to spray too much brake cleaner in it. Also with it running, slowly spray a small stream of brake cleaner over all the rubber vacuum lines running all under the hood. If the motor starts running real rough, you found a vacuum leak that needs repairing.