Why is my 1996 Mazda MX6 2.5L shaking when accelerating and feels like it's not getting enough fuel/air when pressing the gas pedal?

Asked by Mar 25, 2015 at 06:56 AM about the 1996 Mazda MX-6 2 Dr LS Coupe

This morning on my way to work, my car felt as if it wasn't getting enough fuel/air
when pressing the gas pedal to get enough power. When I would accelerate, the car
would feel shaky and felt as if it didn't have enough engine power. After arriving at
work, I parked and put the car in neutral to rev the engine a couple of times. When
revving, the engine shook and felt like it was getting enough fuel/air to increase the
RPMs quickly as it would normally. The car seemed to drive fine yesterday, this
happened overnight. Any advice?

Jacob Brown

Check all your vacuum lines running from your intake. Most likely it could have an air leak at an elbow.

I checked the vacuum lines running from my intake but couldn't find any loose hoses or leaks.

I've revved the engine from idle a few additional times this morning and it seems that the sputter happens upon revving. If I hold the rev around 2- 3K RPMs, it seems to stablilize slightly compared to the initial rev past 1500 RPMs.

EGR Valve issues. This is a well known problem on the MX6's, especially with the 2.5L v6 engine. You can sometimes remove the EGR and clean it to avoid replacing it. The replacement of it is kind of pricy. Other issues could be with bad injectors. I'm sure you are seeing and engine light code when this is happening. What is that code pointing towards?

Matthew Plourde

Hey Mike, surprisingly I do not present an engine light code. I will need to look at the EGR. I did replace spark plugs, and that improved it by 90%. I still get a slight hesitation when idling. Planning on replacing wire set and fuel filter.