What should I check when my ignition switch and key are hot after a few minutes of driving?

25

Asked by Sep 30, 2010 at 11:34 AM about the 1995 Mazda MX-6 2 Dr STD Coupe

12,025

It sounds like your ignition switch ( electrical portion) is getting some electrical resistance to it. Have it checked immedaiately as this can be a fire hazard.

25

Thanks. If it's as easy to replace as the window regulator (just last week), then I will pull it apart and look for a replacement.

35

Yep. The ignition switch contacts have worn. The plastic will be melting in the switch. I wired up my ignition switch to a 12 volt driving lights relay so the the relay is actually doing the switching. So the ingition switch turns ON the relay, which does the job that the ignition switch used to do. Hope this makes sense. Ask an auto electrician. It is fairly easy to do.

25

That does make sense, thank you for the idea.

They just recently sent me a recall on the ignition switch for over heating.