Steaming Engine

Asked by Nov 11, 2009 at 03:25 PM about the 1993 Mazda MX-6 2 Dr LS Coupe

I have a 1993 Mazda MX6 automatic transmission.It has been sitting idle for about eight months. I start it up weekly, but it is not insured. After driving it a short distance it starts to steam around the top of the engine. Antifreeze had been leaking out last weak before I realized there was a sleeve moved back not covering the spot where it was squirting out and when I covered it that stopped the leak, however it seems moist after driving it and a little oilly. I put some stop leak in it a few weeks ago, because at first I suspected a radiator leak. I am not a mechanic, but I know enough to know that oil and antifreeze don't mix. It looks like maybe some of the hoses may just need replaced or seals. It doesn't seem like a major leak just a lot of moisture and the smell of antifreeze. I had a buyer for the car, but I can't sell it like that. I am 63 year old woman with limited knowledge of cars. As a result have made some bad car purchases. The car has 143000. miles on it. Any suggestions?

20

hopefully anti-freeze didn't get into you head because otherwise your probably gonna have to drain all the anti-freeze, all the oil, and then take everything off until you get to the head then clean off the pistons and the head, buy a new head gasket, valve cover gasket or gaskets, and that takes quite a bit of time i don't really expect that you would want to do that all yourself. If I where you i'd take it to a ASE certified tech and have him look it over for you and tell you whats actually wrong with it.

15

Well if your around Iowa and you don't want to hassel with it.. And its not tooo expensive I'll buy it the way it sits... Even if you blow it up