Engine

Asked by Jan 07, 2017 at 12:28 AM about the 1991 Mazda MX-6 2 Dr LE Coupe

My very intelligent cousin of mine
managed to put more than a
quart of tranny fluid in my engine!!
I didn't know a few months ago
when he did it and my car has
recently been smoking alot and
today it stopped working on me.
My clutch has lost its pressure
and the stick shift won't shift at
this point.
Is there any chance for an easy
and inexpensive repair??

104,255

ATF is normally used to help clean an engine but it isn't meant to be left in there, so an oil and filter change is at least one of the things that need done, as far as the clutch problem this sounds like it is time for a clutch replacement job and make sure the clutch hydraulics are done at the same time. As far as the engine, you didn't say if it was still running and the color of the smok, you can tell a lot by the color, if it's blueish white smoke it might cure itself with an oil and filter change, the trans fluid is thin and it might be getting past the rings, if it's a definantly white smoke that indicates a possible blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head. So none of this is going to be cheap, the least expensive thing will be oil and filter change. So it's up too you to decide if it is worth putting money into, it's a 91 so 25 years soon to be 26 if not already.

54,535

How much ATF is more than a quart?