need help with crankshaft position sensor

Penny Taylor

Asked by May 28, 2016 at 04:11 PM about the 2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS

Crank position sensor is a 3 wire One hole pickup with black, blue and red
wires pigtail  I need to know resistance and voltage to test my sensor to see if
it is bad.  Can someone help me Please

Go to:

Rod Fletcher

The only test procedure I see for inspecting the crank sensor is to check air gap between the sensor and teeth on the tone ring. Copy and pasted as follows: CRANKSHAFT POSITION (CKP) SENSOR INSPECTION Inspection of Air Gap NOTE: Perform the following test only when directed. 1. Measure the air gap between each four projections of the plate behind the crankshaft pulley and the CKP sensor using a feeler gauge. If not as specified, adjust the CKP sensor air gap and inspect as follows: Is any of the four projections of the plate behind the crankshaft pulley twisted or bent. If not adjusted, replace the plate behind the crankshaft pulley (See PLATE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.) or CKP sensor. (See CRANKSHAFT POSITION (CKP) SENSOR REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.) If CKP sensor PID value is out of specification, perform the “Circuit Open/Short Inspection”. Specification 0.5—1.5 mm {0.020—0.059 in} There is also procedure for checking continuity in the wiring harness between the sensor, the computer, fuses and ground.

Penny Taylor

just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the help. replaced the crankshaft sensor this morning and it started right up. I'm a happy girl now!!!!!