intermittent no start 1998 cavailer

Asked by Dec 21, 2014 at 12:00 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Base

I have a 98 2.2l cavalier that has an intermittent no start issue.  One time it will start right
up and then it will only have a ticking sound on start up. I have replaces the battery at this
point but don't want to keep just guessing at replacement parts.

5,375

Generally, if it just clicks and no start, that's the starter solenoid (on the starter) failing to engage. A new starter setup will hopefully take care of the problem. To check for sure, if you have a multimeter, you can place a probe on the positive terminal of the solenoid and the negative probe on the body of the starter and have someone turn the key on. If it reads 12 volts on the meter, it's the starter solenoid

would the starter work on and off like that if the solenoid isn't working correctly?

I have the same problem with mine and its because the battery does not remain still in the casing. The casing is bigger than the battery they make for this car. It is very annoying.

If you shift the battery around then the car will start. I usually have to move it side to side for a bit. Don't shake it though