I have a 1998 chevy cavalier with a new starter and ignition switch it still won't start when I turn the key the lights come on but no clicking noise nothing... Can anyone help ?

Asked by Mar 20, 2014 at 04:11 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan FWD

90

automatic or manual transmission

90

try putting it in neutral and then try starting it or check your check your grounds are you getting power to the solenoid in start position at the small terminal if not put back in park and apply 12 volts to the S terminal on the starter see if it will turn over then

It's an automatic ... I tried the neutral thing and still nothing, I have checked all the wires and they all have power ... I can jump the starter and it will run but if I shit it off and try to restart it with the key I get nothing ... Like I mentioned I have a new starter, new relay switch and a new ignition switch... I put my battery on the tester and it's reading good I'm do frustrated because I have no clue about cars and at this point I don't think my neighborhood mechanic knows much more !!

* I apologize for the typo I meant shut it off *

20

open all the stering covers and then see the oppsite of the key you will see a a black thing with two swers just open that you will see two cabes conected to it in that two cables find the two fat red wires just cut that two red wires and connect it with the postive terimal of the battery and fix that back as it is then try to start your car

I have two 1998 cavalier's the second one bought new by someone else starts harder than the first one I had no clue y when bought new battery and starter were replaced still hard to start!

There is a relay on radiator support on drivers side that goes out