Car stalls occassionally when comming to a stop?

80

Asked by Jul 24, 2008 at 06:22 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan FWD

Tried injector cleaner seemed to hepl probably need more miles may a tank to see better results.  Is there a fuel filter between the tank and injector?

1,175

Yes there is a fuel filter between the tank and injector, should be within a few feet of the tank on the delivery lines. Does it run rough before it stalls? Do you have a check engine light on when the car is normally running?

80

Seems to run a bit rough, but momentarily then stalls. Also it depends how fast your going, if you roll up to the stop it doesn't stall. When stopping faster it stalls.

80

The check engine light does not come on or stay on. I'm thinking fuel filter. Thanks for the info.

50

Could be buildup on the throttle body or idle control solenoid parts. This is the most likely cause. A bad filter would normally cause problems under load and at higher speeds/rpms, not at lower speeds/rpms.

10

Hopefully it's just the filter- it sounds very similar to the issues I had with my old 97 Cav 2.2, which were the result of a blown head gasket. Good luck!

11,185

I have a chevy van that does the same thing when it is low on fuel. Stopping quickly could be robbing the fuel pump of gas.

1,175

Sounds like an issue with fuel delivery then. I'd look at the fuel filter as your first possible cause, then possibly a fuel pump on the way out or loose wiring to the fuel pump. When it does run, it will idle fine?

35

Sounds more like head gaskets blown...

205

does it start up right away after it dies?

45

i had the same problem with my truck and i changed the spark plugs and it fixed the problem

25

Spark plugs!! Change your wires and plugs and it should go away. Exact same thing mine was doing!

40

If you have checked all the above it could be the control solenoid in the tranny, It controls the lock up of the torque converter. When you apply the brake it unlocks the converter thus allowing the car to idle at a stop. If it is not working when you apply the brake at a stop the car will die since the torque converter is still locked and it can't idle. Some cars try to move or lurch forward when this happens. The part isn't real expensive but installing it can be a problem since it is in the side cover of the tranny. Easy but time consuming. I hope this helps!

My car does this... 1994 Chevy Cavalier. It's the symptoms you all mention. When the car is on the expressway and coming down from a high speed, it sometimes runs rough like it wants to cut off. Then I put it in neutral. It stays on. When I shift into a gear, it will lunge forward and then shuts off. I turn off car for about 5 mins. Then, it will crank up and run fine. I notice when starting car cold, the rpms stay the same... No high idle until I drive. I have changed fuel filter and plugs and wires. There's a slight injector problem. I changed the temp control sensor and the engine went 75% before the fan kicks on. So, I change oil often and the fan runs constant.

I have a 95 cavalier it rains it idles but after so many stops it will shut off when you come to complete stop