How do you replace the light bulb in the hazard warning button on the MX-5 dashboard?

Asked by Oct 30, 2011 at 07:16 PM about the 1995 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base

The light is out on the hazard warning button on the dash of my 1995 Miata.  I want to replace it, but can't determine how difficult this is?  Any info will be much appreciated.

The 90 and 95 are similar in dash. It should take 10-30 minutes to get to the part. Should need only a philips screwdriver. The center console between the seats is removed first. There are 2 screws near the front on the side and 2 screws inside the armrest console and 1 or 2 under the ashtray/cup holder. Remove the shift knob and lift the long console out of place carefully because there is a wire to disconnect going to the ashtray light ( at least in 90's) . There are screws on the side and newly uncovered screws to remove for the upright console. The popup and flasher switches are screwed to this piece from the back. It will help to move the shifter into reverse to get this panel out and it sort of hinges at the top. Once out, you get to the switch mech. It is a one piece unit on 90's and I apologize that I don't know for sure if the part can be opened or not to get to lightbulbs. I would be very careful removing the screws. The plastic may be brittle from my experience so you'd want to be extra careful when tightening them back in. I'd estimate an hour or less to remove and re-install the center consoles. I have done it a number of times for radio and electronics. Happy to elaborate on anything that doesn't make sense!