Won't start

Asked by Apr 14, 2014 at 11:37 PM about the 1992 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base

I've had this miata since 9/1/13, new battery, rag top, door panels, fresh gas, been driving
it until this week.  It will not start, it clicks, then hums, battery is fully charged. Everything
else works, lights, radio, horn, etc. it has always turned over, slowly, but it has also
always started.  It sat in a garage for a year before I got it.  Why all the sudden is it not
starting? Please help, my dodge truck gas mileage is eating me up!

1,145

Did you look for bad cable connections and especially weak or corroded grounds? On something that old, and as a known problem, that's the first place I'd check, or simply replace them. Other than that, your starter may be on its last legs.

540

There is a simple test to see if the starter is part of the problem. With the battery fully charged turn your headlights on. Leave them on and try to start the car. If the headlights dim or go completely off then the battery is most likely dead. If the headlights don't dim then the battery is probably OK and the problem is in the ignition switch, starter relay or starter motor.